Quantity: 1 available
Large folio. 650 x 420 mm. Bound collection of 12 manuscript maps covering the area around Milton Abbas, Dorset. Dating from two periods, 1656 and 1735, bound out of sequence. The earlier maps are extremely ornate, hand coloured and detailed plans with reference keys, all mounted on linen, 1656 or a little later. The later sequence of maps is surveyed for Jacob Banks [Bancks], Esq and dated 1734, on vellum and comprises field outlines and perhaps serves as an accompanying key to the earlier maps. 1. Situation of Delcomb Farm with the Court and Town of Abbas Milton. The Farm House, Orchards and Gardens. 580 x 1270 mm. [c. 1656] – see 9. 2. Luccombe Farm. Surveyed for Jacob Banks, Esq. 1734. 500 x 690 mm. on vellum. – see 7 3. Plan of Bagber's Farm with all His Contents. 300 x 940 mm. [c.1656] – see 11. 4. Licom Farm. 300 x 580 mm. [c.1656] 5. Plan of Hewish Farm. 300 x 580 mm. [c.1656] – see 12. 6. Plan of Chescomb Farm, Explaining the Parts Belonging to the Manor of Whit Church. 355 x 510 mm. [c.1656] – see 10. 7. Plan of Luckham Farm. 380 x 535 mm. [c.1656] – see 2. 8. Explaining Kaet’s Farm. 635 x 740 mm. [c.1656] With the general title to the plans and ornate compass rose. 9. Delcombe Farm with the Town and Abbey of Milton Abbas. Surveyed for Jacob Banks, Esq. 1734. 610 x 1300 mm. on vellum. – see 1. 10. Chescomb Farm. Surveyed for Jacob Banks, Esq. 1734. 620 x 355 mm. on vellum. – see 6. 11. Bagber’s Farm, Surveyed for Jacob Banks, Esq. 1734. 355 x 990 mm. on vellum. – see 3. 12. Hewish Farm, Surveyed for Jacob Banks, Esq. 1734. 355 x 710 mm. on vellum. – see 5. The Milton Abbas estate was in the hands of the Tregonwell Family from the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries and passed to John Tregonwell IV sometime during the seventeenth century. It seems likely that the first series of plans was produced on his death when the estate was passed on to his son John Tregonwell V. He died without a male heir in 1696 and his daughter married Sir Jacob Bancks, nephew to the Swedish ambassador. On Bancks' death in 1724 the estate was inherited by his second son, also called Jacob, who began extensive rebuilding and renovation. It would be reasonable to assume that he also undertook the new survey of his estates, which feature here, based on the earlier survey. On his death in 1737 there was a fifteen year dispute between rival Bancks and Tregonwell claimants and the estate was sold in 1752 to Joseph Damer, later to become Lord Milton, then the Duke of Dorchester. The grounds of the Abbey itself were later landscaped by Capability Brown, and much of the original village was demolished and relocated. Full eighteenth century mottled calf, worn, but sound.
Title: The Ichnographii of the Town Parts, Leasehold and Copie Hold, Tennements and Cottages in the Mannor of Milton Abbas.
Publisher: 1656 and 1734.:
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 37479